Thursday, July 29, 2010

I Missed an Anniversary

No, it wasn't the anniversary of my marriage. You'd be reading my obituary if I had missed that. And I knew it was right around this time of year but the actual date had eluded me. Part of my excuse is that I have been a bit busy. Work hasn't exactly been at a frantic pace, but very steady. And a second job of teaching at a local college has kept me a bit occupied. Then there's that bathroom remodeling project and my daughter's upcoming wedding in November. Oh well. July 26, 2008 was the date we purchased Max. Two years and about 6,800 miles later we are doing fine together. Max wasn't mad at me for forgetting. As usual, he just wanted me to take him for a ride. I promised him a long ride soon. Real Long. Real Soon. I went back and looked at a post I did a year ago called "Scooterversary". I got a kick about what I wrote then. It was maybe a little sappy, but the point was to express, in part, how the simple purchase of a two wheeled vehicle had made some pretty significant changes in my lifestyle and how I looked at the world around me. I didn't put as many miles on Max this year as I did the year before, but there were a couple of reasons for that. Jayna and I owned only one car for most of that first year. This year we bought the famous Canadian Subaru and I drove it on some days where I could have ridden Max. Also, this last winter the weather was much less conducive to two wheeled riding.
The New License Plate Cover for "Monty" the Subaru.
A Father's Day Gift from my Daughter, bless her heart.
I still continue to ride Max to work almost every day I can. What a great way to start and end a day.
Max in the Flint Hills of Kansas last Fall
That long ride I promised to Max is next week. That's how Max and I are going to celebrate this anniversary.

14 comments:

  1. cpa3485:

    Happy Anniversary to Max . . . you too .

    We also have a Canadian Subaru. And have a good time on your long trip together.

    bob
    Wet Coast Scootin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobskoot,
    That was eerily quick. We are looking forward to the little jaunt. I actually drove the Canadian Subaru today because of a seminar I needed to attend and I didn't want to smell up the room from sweat. (It's been hot here) Sometime I will have to tell you about our nation's new health care legislation. It's amazing how complicated our Congress can dream up things.

    Take Care and thanks for popping by,

    Jimbo

    ReplyDelete
  3. 8 August will be the Anniversary of my purchase of a 49cc Adly scooter. Then 27 February, having sold Lil' Blue to a friend thus assuring him of a good home, I purchased my Symba, Billie. It has been rather amazing to me how significantly these actions have effected my life for what seems to me to be the better.

    Enjoy you're long ride.....
    and I'm looking forward to hearing the tale.

    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  4. May you and Max forever experience bliss! At least until one of you gets replaced by a newer model.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keith,
    I really like the looks of the SYMba and since it is a SYM, it has to be good, right?
    There will be a report, and it might be a long one. We'll just have to wait and see. I don't leave for a week, but really itching to go.
    Thanks for visiting again, it's appreciated.

    Jimbo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan,
    At this point, that scooter may outlast me. Who knows? I am glad you were able to manage the horde of bloggers meeting in Oregon. Sounded like someone needed to take control of the situation.
    Thanks for being a good friend and stopping by. Sorry I didn't get to meet you in person yet, but you never know, it might happen one day.

    Jimbo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your scooter anniversary. It is an event worth celebrating!

    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve,
    Thanks for coming by and commenting. It is an anniversary worth at least some celebration. I plan to do a little bit for it at least. Even though I forgot the exact date.

    Jimbo

    ReplyDelete
  9. The maximum machine looked good for being so old.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charlie6,
    You sound worried about me. But nobody ever called me sane, so worry away if you want.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Conch,
    Max was pretty dirty when you saw him. Probably looked older that way. I prefere to say that he is just ridden, and Dirt Happens.
    He got a bath yesterday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear CPA3485 (Jimbo):

    So what are the details of this 600-mile ride? Are you going alone? What ele ment of adventure is involved? Cam we see the finsl prepartions? (I am referring to a scooter laden down like one of Marco Polo's camels.)

    So what does a bike anniversary entail? Do you buy it a gift, get it stewed and run off to a motel? I would celebrate my bike's anniversary by giving it a taste of higher octane gas, but it drinks the equalivant of champagne now.

    Have a great ride.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jack,
    The details of the ride will be forthcoming. There is still a chance it may not happen as planned. One concern is the heat. We had 105 degrees here today with a heat index above 110. The thought of riding 7-8 hours in that doesn't thrill me, nor is it very safe. I hesitate to go into further detail because of the uncertainty, but suffice it to know that I have been working on this for a couple of weeks and am very excited.
    The bike will look much like the above picture in the Flint Hills with the possible exception of the addition of a small cooler for cold drinks.
    And anniversaries are to be celebrated in many ways. Max and I have our own little way of celebrating. Even though it may be silly to personalize an inanimate object, I knowI'm not the only one.
    As always thanks for the visit to my little site.

    Jimbo

    ReplyDelete