Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Bound and Determined

The sun was shining brightly. Not a cloud in the sky. Temperature in the 50's. It would be a shame not to get in some sort of a ride today, even if it was just a few miles. was bound and determined to experience something that I hadn't had the pleasure of for a very long time.

Almost a year.

Two weekends ago a winter storm was threatening the area. There were hopes for a white Christmas. Ahhh.... Didn't happen where I live! About 100 miles northwest of us they received over a foot of snow, but there was just a light dusting here.

The weather has been nice ever since. Mostly sunny skies, reasonable temperatures. I noticed a lot more motorcycles out on the streets in the last couple of days. The warm weather brought out a lot of riders. Maybe it was the holidays, too.

I didn't want to ride very far. I am still not supposed to be riding. But I thought a short ride wouldn't hurt. It was a beautiful day. And I was hoping that some other motorcyclists would be out riding. Because, if they were, maybe I could experience......

The Wave!

Seems like a little thing, but it has been a long time.So I left the house with a particular destination in mind. I just wanted to ride by a building owned by one of my clients. No real important reason, just someplace to go. It would result in about a ten mile round trip. Thought there would be a good chance that I would see another motorcyclist and perhaps get a wave.

On the way to my client's building I didn't see a single motorcyclist. Not One! I turned back toward home. About 3 miles from home I saw a pickup truck pulling a trailer with 2 dirt bikes strapped on it. The person in the cab saw me, and sort of acknowledged my existence in the 2 wheeled world, but there was no wave and I thought to myself "This Won't Do!"

Less than a mile from home I was beginning to lose hope, but eventually spied another rider going in the opposite direction. I wasn't positive he saw me, but I ventured out a wave with my left arm...

And He Waved Back!!!!!

It was one of those manly sorts of waves, just a simple extension of the left arm without even a pointed finger. But it worked.

Big Grin!

Huge Friggin' Grin!

7 comments:

  1. Me again. I find it funny that I'm most comfortable when I have a destination or a purpose for riding. I see you mentioned it was "someplace to go." I've ridden just to ride, but it seems wasteful somehow. Is this some of that Midwestern practicality showing forth. Of course, I will admit looking for flamingos in people's yards has become a good enough reason to take to the streets.

    Hopefully soon you'll be able to be out and about "legally."
    ~k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jimbo:

    Welcome back... There is nothing that gives a man greater satisfaction than sneaking out to do something that is illegal, immoral, or fattening.

    I would have waved at you... Or something.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack/reep
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith,
    I have no problems just taking off for a ride. Sometimes I have no idea where I want to go and sometimes mthose rides end up being very interesting. I'll just take off wherever and go wherever and get back home wherever.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack,
    I must admit to not keeping up with everything in the blog world very well lately. Partly due to not riding, but also that tax season is rearing it's ugly head again.
    Thanks for the visit, I'm slowly but surely getting back in the swing of things.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will wave at a few scooter riders in your honor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Dan,
    Thanks for all the future waves from you to deserving individuals, especially those that ride scooters. I have to mention that you once offered some advice to me just after I started this blog. You said not to lock myself into anything and let the blog take me where it might. That was good advice. The blog has gone in a crazy direction this last year, but hopefully my riding will begin again soon.

    Thanks for and others in being such loyal followers,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete