Sunday, July 15, 2012

Premeditated Changes


Went for a hot Sunday morning bicycle ride. I had sort of planned to ride by a certain destination. But a certain bike path looked good when I approached, so I changed my mind and took a new direction. I didn't regret the decision.

Been thinking about the direction of this blog lately. I have to admit that some changes in focus and direction may happen. I thought about that as I rode this morning.

I thought about some of the things that define me as a person. My profession. My hobbies. My health. My family. There has been a change in priorities with respect to all the things that define me.

I received excellent news from my cardiologist this week. Fantastic news! Spectacular news! Good enough news to cause a change of outlook. He thinks my recovery is remarkable and better than he expected. For some time I had been living with a concern as to how much longer I would live. It now looks like I'll be around for a long time to come.

It was a great ride this morning. Slight breeze, lots of sun. Time to think. Time to enjoy. I could have taken the scooter, but somehow I was drawn by wanting to get the exercise. Don't know why. Don't care either. And that is part of the issue.

I have changed.

So don't be surprised to see some changes on this blog, maybe even a new name.

I am not abandoning the original purpose of the blog, just hoping to add to it in a way I hope is interesting to readers. But remember, this blog was always an extension of me, my interests, my experiences. In a way it is just as much for me as it is for my readers.

I have changed. The blog will too.

Life is too short.

Back to this mornings ride:

I encountered a woman working on a small public garden near the bike path. I wondered why she was there on a Sunday morning. She didn't look like a city employee, no uniform, but could have been, I guess. She seemed to work diligently and I thought how neat it would be if she was just volunteering her time. I don't know, and won't ever know, but I can imagine the possibility.

At another location on the path I saw a woman with a small child in a stroller. As I approached, I waved at the child and said Hi. I could hear the child jabbering a bunch of nonsensical utterances, which sounded pretty funny. Mom didn't say anything, but had a huge smile on her face. I was having a nice morning outing, she and her child obviously were too.

Then as I approached home, I was a little tired and just leisurely riding along. Another bicyclist approached from the opposite direction at a much faster rare of speed. Sort of instinctively I just extended my left arm and gave her a "wave", you know, a motorcyclists type of wave. I chuckled as I did it thinking I'm not sure if I have ever waved like that to a fellow bicyclist before. But it worked. She nodded her head at me and simply said "Hey!"

So "Hey!"

There may be some changes coming, but they'll be "Premeditated".

2 comments:

  1. I'm told change is good...and, sometimes it is :)

    I do suspect this is one of those time. Looking forward to seeing what's in store.
    ~k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps it is your return to riding your trusty steed that has helped with the heart's recovery?

    dom


    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete