Thursday, March 4, 2010

Shoes and Gear at the Office

I keep a spare pair of shoes at the office. This pair hasn't been home for over a year. I have a black pair just like them that are usually here too, just not today. The shoes stay here so I don't have to wear my boots all day. The boots go back and forth from home to office. The shoes stay at the office.
I keep a spare jacket at the office too. The gear jacket is cumbersome when I go out for lunch and people stare at it and ask questions. Not that I mind that.
My gear usually sits on one of my conference table chairs during the day. This time of year I have all the liners in my jacket. Just the windbreaker liner in my pants. My pants are one size larger than my jacket because I wear them over my office clothes. I rarely feel it necessary to wear the heavy liner in my pants. My legs never seem to get that cold. If my commute time was longer I might reconsider.
I often wear an LL Bean rain jacket over my gear just because it is such an excellent windbreaker. Plus, the jacket is red, my bike is blue, hence I ride in Jayhawk colors.
Do you ever consider the little routine things you do every time you ride? How about the helmet and gloves? Get the keys out. Open the top case. Get the helmet out. Set it on the seat. Take the eyeglasses off. Set them on the seat. Pick up helmet. Take the gloves out of the helmet where I usually stuff them. Open the visor. Put the helmet on. Fasten the chin strap. (Ever forgotten to do that?) Put the eyeglasses back on. Close the visor. Put on the gloves. Liners too if it's really cold. Move key from topcase to ignition. Ready to go. All routine. How about the gear? Don't you just love the sounds of Velcro? Sit down. Take off shoes. Stand up. Put the gear pants on. (Remember to zip) Sit back down. Put on the boots and lace them up. Stand back up. Put on jacket. Zip up inner liner. Zip up main jacket. Make sure cell phone in right pocket. Make sure extra keys in left pocket. Zip up both pockets. Put on windbreaker. Zip up again. More routine. Yeah, it takes a couple of moments to do all this. Not that long really. I have heard or read about a few of you expressing a mild dislike of the drudgery of putting on the gear. Maybe not a complaint as much as a mention that it does take a moment or two. It can get a bit old. I never go without the gear anymore. To me, there is always the chance that something might happen on the road that would make me very glad that I had it on. It's happened to me before. I refuse to complain about wearing gear. Like the Nike commercials, I say " Just do it". Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

16 comments:

  1. It's only drudgery until you experience the unique sensation of your ass sliding across the pavement. That certainly changed my outlook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cpa3485:

    great minds think alike. I also have a pair of shoes which I leave at the office and a pair of black clogs. Plus Underthings and extra socks. You will appreciate these "extras" if your pants leak or your boots get water in them, other wise you will be sitting on wet clothes, or squishing in every step you take. My riding pants are one size larger to accommodate dress pants underneath. If it is really cold, then I even keep an extra slacks at work and wear jeans under my riding pants.

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds familiar, extra shoes at work, very specific order going on, etc. At night before I go to bed I have everything layed out just so, mornings are not my thing, but I always seem to forget my earplugs until I have my helmet fastened.

    GAW
    My adventures on two wheels

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy,
    Here's a grin back at ya about that sliding stuff. I haven't experienced that and don't want to. Mine was more like a big thunk, or at least what I remember of it (which isn't much).
    Thanks for the comment
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bobskoot,
    Socks and a couple of other items are a good idea. I have to be honest that if it is raining in the morning, I will have a tendency to take the car, but we don't get rain like I know you can. I have gotten pretty wet getting home a few times, but then I am home and can always change into something dry.
    I'm still mad about those Canadian hockey referees.
    Thanks for stopping by.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Art,
    Good chuckle about those earplugs. I don't use them, but can imagine how angry I would be if I forgot to put them in in the proper order of things. My biggest fault is forgetting to buckle the chin strap. My helmet is pretty snug and I can't tell you how many times I have ridden a couple of blocks before I realize I have forgotten to buckle it.
    Thanks for coming by and reading my drivel.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. cpa3485:

    I am using those "illegal" quick disconnects for the chin strap. There is less tendancy to forget to buckle. When it rains I am in one of those what would Chuck Pefley do moments. Sometimes I ride, sometimes I don't. It depends on frame of mind and what I have to do later in the day. I have been caught 5 hours from Vancouver on the last day of a weekend away on the bike, and if it rains, then I have no choice

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, shoes at the office. I remember when I used to do that. Now I pretty much just wear my boots all day. You don't like it, boss? TOUGH. ;)

    OK, actually I'm lucky to have a job where stompy boots are FAR from the strangest thing worn around the office. And in the summer, I do bring keep shoes at work - stompy boots aren't much fun stomping around downtown Phoenix in the summer. Talk about needing a change of socks.

    That said, I don't complain about wearing my gear. Don't tell anyone, but my gear is like my security blanket. And I've found I'm always more comfortable riding with it on than riding without. The desert sun is intense...

    Never considered keeping spare socks at the office, but that's a darn good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bobskoot,
    My aversion to rain is mainly due to a fear of lightning. When riding in a car, lightning doesn't bother me much, but on the scooter, it seems much closer. When it rains here, psrticularly in spring and summer, there almost always is a healthy dose of ligtning along with it.
    Take Care,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky,
    I know what you mean about the "security blanket". Just last night I had to move the scoot from the parking garage to another lot next to my office. Thursday nights I stay late at the office and the garage closes at 7:00pm. I literally just moved the scoot across the street, and [put on helmet and jacket, but not the pants. What a strange feeling it was without the gear pants on.
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  11. All that gear and what a routine to go through everytime we ride a bike. If we are prepared to put up with all of that, riding must be even better than we think!
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read your lists of actions. It made me tired. Think I'll take a nap, now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gary,
    How nice of you to visit, from across the Atlantic? Or are you here in the states? I will be checking out your blog more when I get a little more time. I am sure not to be near as hard core as you, and your quest is like a dream to a lot of people.
    Take care and ride safe, your compliment means a lot.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dan,
    Taking naps is what happens to GrandIronDads, LOL
    Take care
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jim,

    I am in the UK at the moment, so it was virtual flying visit! My tour starts in 3 months.

    I smiled as I saw the pictures of your gear in your office and the lists of things to be done pre-riding. My routine would be nearly identical, so it doesn't matter what we ride, as the Eagles once sung “We are all just prisoners here of our own device”. I guess that applies to biking in all its forms.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jim, my list is also pretty similar, although when riding in town I usually don't put on pants ... riding pants, that is -:) If I'm traveling any distance and expect to be doing highway speeds then I'll always wear protective leg gear as well ... no matter the temperature.

    The number of details and steps necessary to prepare to ride is pretty amazing when broken down by an accountant!

    Cheers,
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete