Monday, October 4, 2010

Should I Break out The Winter Gloves Yet?

I am thinking about it, but have resisted it so far. Our summer here was a little hotter than normal (whatever normal is). The Aerostich Hot Weather Vegan gloves continue to serve me well. They are probably my favorite riding accessory. My mesh Tourmaster jacket and pants have also performed well this past summer. I have however, switched jackets and have been wearing the denim jacket I bought last spring. The denim jacket is not as cool in summer weather even with lots of zippered vents. Part of the reason, though, for changing jackets is that the weather isn't as hot now, plus I just look so damn cool in denim! LOL I suppose I should keep both pairs of gloves on Max, wear one set for the morning ride to work, the other in the afternoon. The cold weather gloves are safely being stored in the garage, but I may have to break them out soon. It was 46 degrees Monday morning when I left the house. My fingers were a bit cold by the time I got to the office, but I had those summer gloves on so I have only myself to blame. Then I will eventually reach a point in time when I will need to break out the glove liners as well, but that may be a few weeks away. I have some silk glove liners and some fleece liners, and sometimes I will wear them all at the same time. I have considered heated grips and other means to ward off the cold on the old fingers, but it only takes me about 15 minutes to get to and from work. I figure I can stand some cold fingers for that length of time. The weather this week has been very conducive for riding. Lows in the 50's and highs in the 70's to low 80's. The famous Canadian Suburu has stayed in the garage for well over a week now. Nice!

4 comments:

  1. It was in the high 30's here this morning. Still not the winter gloves but I did wear the liners. It was also time for the unlined windproof pants. Not cold enough for the insulated stuff.

    After waiting 45 minutes for me to finish my bagel at the bakery, Billie also was letting me know it was cooler this morning. She wanted me to feather her throttle to get moving and at the first couple of stoplights. Ah, the adventure is back.

    Stay warm,
    ~Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...it only takes me about 15 minutes to get to and from work. I figure I can stand some cold fingers for that length of time."

    That's what I thought too, until I got heated grips and wondered why I'd been so stubborn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith,
    We haven't had any days in the 30's yet, but they are probably not far off. I won't put the liners in the pants for awhile either. My legs seldom seem to get very cold. Sometimes I think back to some of the outfits and configurations of clothing I used to wear in cold weather and laugh at myself. It has been a process of experimentation to see what works well and what does not work well.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy,
    Those heated grips are always in the back of my mind. I am a bit concerned about how to install since I have no ready connection for the electrics and maybe some concern about the electrical system being able to handle the additional output. It would probably be fine, but I worry about it. But if someday I get another bike, the heated grips would be a priority option.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete