Friday, October 15, 2010

Great Riding Weather and A Record Hailstone

Oh, the farmers are starting to bitch. And I suppose we could use a little rain even though our rainfall has been about normal for this year. Farmers never seem to be real happy with the weather. It is either too hot (or cold), or not enough rain, or maybe there has been some hail. It's that winter wheat they worry about, planted in the Fall, harvested in Spring. Whatever! (To coin a popular phrase) But Damn It, the weather for riding has been spectacular! Low temperatures in the 50's, highs in the 70's or low 80's. I have only missed one day of commuting in the last 3 weeks and the next week looks real good. You might ask what was the deal on that one day I missed. Well, I have to admit to being a bit of a chickensh#*. The forecast called for a 40% chance of rain that day, probably to occur late afternoon or evening. It was a day that I teach an accounting class at a local college at night. I needed the laptop and I don't have a waterproof case for it. I don't personally mind getting a little wet at times, but I prefer not to and the security of the laptop was important. And then, of course, it didn't rain. Oh well, there are always other days.
About a month ago we had a pretty severe storm hit the area. It is a bit unusual for a violent thunderstorm to happen in Autumn, but it does happen. We weren't directly hit where we live, but the storm was close by.

The proud partents of a pretty gnarly looking hailstone. She looks proud, he looks bored.

There was a record setting hailstone from that storm, supposedly the largest hailstone ever to hit in Kansas. Glad I wasn't out on Max at the time. Can you imagine being hit by something like this while riding? Oh well, this is Kansas and we are used to dodging storms on occasion. There was a fair amount of damage to roofs in the area and a golf course just west of town took a bit of a beating.
This golf course was closed for a couple of days to repair the greens.
'Bout time for those homeowners insurance rates to go up. Don't you think?

5 comments:

  1. It would be difficult putting on that green! That was some hail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the weather in hurricane land continues serene and sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy vay! such a hail storm. I would be happy to live my life out without ever being around such hail.

    It has been incredible riding weather here as well. There seems to be more bikes on the road than I've seen all summer. I think there is always a flurry of activity at this time of year, but many thought it too hot to ride many days this summer. I suspect this adds to the apparent riding frenzy I'm witnessing now.

    Jim, enjoy the weather. We both know this season will pass all too soon and the choices will begin to revolve around the possibilities of freezing rain and/or snow. Ahh, but hopefully, not too soon.

    Be safe,
    ~Keith

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine riding any kind of bike with hailstones that big falling out of the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear CPA3485 (Jimbo):

    I have often wondered what it would be like to encounter a hailstorm while being out on a bike. I bet your helmet would keep the ice from hitting you in the head, but I also suspect it would be ready for the trash after the event. I bet the worst hits would be on your hands as they were exposed on the handlebars.

    Then again, at the storm's end, the road would be covered with ice. Amd smaller stones would be a lot more trecherous, don't you think?

    Fondest regards,
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete