Thursday, December 3, 2009

Commuting Curiosities and Phenomena: 12/01/09

A lot of my riding is just my normal commute to and from work. I tend to take a mostly similar route each day and on most days nothing remarkable occurs. Occasionally, though, I may see or experience something that may be worthy of at least a brief blog article. December 1, 2009 I encountered a dead skunk on my way to work. It was lying right in the middle of the lane I was riding in. Of course, being on 2 wheels, it was easy to make a small swerve around the carcass. There was a faint, but recognizable, smell as I passed by. December 2, 2009 The skunk carcass was still there. It was still in the same lane as the day before, but about 2 feet to the right of where it was the day before. It was obvious that a few cars had passed over it because it was a little flatter on the roadway. No smell today. Sorry, Mr. Skunk. Hope you had a good life. Wondering what heaven might be like for skunks. Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

6 comments:

  1. Gosh, that skunk tale brought back memories, seeing it in the same place the next day. It starts to make you wonder...I once encountered a very large Chicago rat who seemed to fly out of nowhere and ran across the front of my mc. I swerved but my front wheels caught its backside. I was pretty shaken up and felt a lot of guilt. S/he was still there the next day. I apoligized as I rode wide around it. I remember hoping it didn't have babies it needed to return to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cpa3485:

    It's the same thing with spiders. BIG BLACK ones which you squish to get rid of. Poor thing just out for a walk and trying to find food to bring back to the family. Then one day it goes out of its hut never to return.

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon,
    As of 12/7/09, the little critter is still there, although this time I saw it from the car. You would think the birds or some other creature might have taken care of it by now.
    Thanks for the visit, I really did enjoy Crawford's book as well.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob,
    Not a fan of spiders either, but it does make you think that the demise of the squirrel was unfortunate. Hope I don't go like that.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. This immediately triggered the memory of the Louden Wainright III classic, "Dead Skunk." So, was it stinking to high heaven?

    __Orin
    Scootin' Old Skool

    ReplyDelete
  6. Orin,
    I should have thought of that song. Your memory is obviously better than mine, but please realize that the song dates us both a bit doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete