Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Temporary Ride

I am finally getting the scooter fixed. There were numerous little delays in settling with the insurance company. Isn't there always? Nonetheless, Lloyd picked up Max today and loaned me a 150 cc Lambretta. My first ride was for a total of half a block from where Lloyd and I exchanged scooters to the parking garage where I normally park. I will miss Max for probably a few days while he gets the body parts replaced. And after riding the Lambretta for that short distance to that parking garage, I know that I will really miss Max. I should not knock the Lambretta, but it isn't Max. It is just not the same. It has smaller tires and the ride is not near as nice as Max. It seems like a nice enough scooter, but I am very glad it isn't mine. A not so impressive spot weld on the rear rack. One advantage it has over Max and apparently most Triumphs, (or was it BMWs), is a tachometer. I became infatuated with the tachometer as I took the first ride home from the office. A red line at 10k and hovering at 5k-6k for a good part of the ride home. Then I just decided that it was nice and neat to look at, but essentially worthless. I mean, who the hell cares. There's no gears to shift, and you would probably be able to hear the engine tear itself apart If you rev it too high for too long.
After a couple of days riding the Lambretta, I have come to enjoy it a little bit. It has been dependable and has gotten me where I needed to go. It has some features I do like, such as good brakes. But it still isn't Max.
But I do appreciate the use of the loaner very much! Mank thanks to Lloyd!
As you can see, the Lambretta is a very bright orange, not neon, but very orange. It's really a nice looking scooter and I had admired it once in the showroom. But Max sure seems to be a much higher quality machine. The engine is much smoother. The ride is softer. The seat is more comfortable. It could be just what I am used to, but I can definately say that I would never trade Max for this Lambretta.
The only regret might be that tachometer.

3 comments:

  1. Dear CPA3485 (Jimbo):

    It's worh it every now and again to try something a little different, if for no other reason than to see how your own machine stacks up against it. Were the smaller diameter tires a problem? I can't imagine what it would be like to ride on small wheels. I bet I would be unsteady.

    Well, it will be great to have your machine back and as good as new.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack,
    The little tires actually drove me a bit crazy. I have 16 in wheels on Max. The Lambretta had 12 in wheels. Lloyd said 10 in wheels would have really driven me crazy.
    The steering was quirky and had to reach a bit farther to the handlebars.
    All in all it was just something to get used to, But Max is way better comfort wise.

    Thanks for stopping by,
    JimBoBob

    ReplyDelete
  3. We like what we like and we want what we want. I can't imagine liking another bike better than mine--at least until I fall in love again (with another bike).

    ReplyDelete