Tuesday, November 15, 2011

SIPDE for Walkers

There is much evil in the world.


As I was walking I approached the intersection of Central and Edgemoor. I SCANNED the situation noting where the stop lights were in their never ending cycle of traffic control. The light for me was green. I wasn't sure how long it had been green, but it looked like I could make it across the intersection, even if I had to jog a bit for the last few steps.

I was walking to the west. There were 3 lanes of traffic to the south where vehicles were stopped at the light. I would have to cross in front of these vehicles as I crossed the intersection. The first two lanes were occupied by SUV's that were a little hard to see around. The third lane appeaered to be empty, but I IDENTIFIED a car approaching the intersection in that lane.

I PREDICTED that the person driving the approaching car might have trouble seeing me because of the SUV's. Sure enough, the person in the car continued toward the intersection a little faster than necessary and the driver was not looking my way.

I then made the DECISION to stop walking immediately.

So I EXECUTED my decision and stopped in front of the SUV just next to the lane with the approaching car.

The driver barely looked up at me as she sped by. I noticed she had a cell phone in her hand.

SIPDE works for walkers, too.

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

4 comments:

  1. If you had an air horn maybe you could've gotten her attention. I run into similar problems when on foot as there are a lot of SUVs and pick-ups in this town. Maybe 35-40% of the vehicles....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wished more pedestrians practiced SIPDE, instead of walking into the street while texting. Bicyclists and pedestrians have given me more scares than drivers since I've been commuting.

    Having not so long ago been hit by a car while I was inline skating, I'm glad you avoided the same fate while walking. The car ran a red light. Very little I could do to stop it from happening. That said, I definitely approach intersections even more cautiously than I did before. Sort of reminds me of the old Dial soap commercials: "You enter the intersections cautiously, don't you wish everyone did?" Or maybe: "You practice SIPDE, don't you wish everyone did?"

    Be safe out there. I'm told more pedestrians are killed each year than motorcyclists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In this case I don't think "evil" describes it. As you wrote at the top of the post. More like criminally stupid.

    We teach Rider Responsibility. Perhaps you could teach a class on Walker Responsibility? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jimbo:

    You are a far more patient man than I. I would have yelled out, "Get off the phone and look up."

    I might have also used "Finger," which is another method of communication.

    Good to see you blogging, again.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack Riepe
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete